Handicap Requirements | Handicap Chairman | Posting Guidelines | Handicap Revision Schedule
All Michiana Senior Golf Association (MSGA) tournaments are handicapped and are played with USGA rules in effect. To participate and compete for prizes, players must have an established USGA approved handicap. Players are assigned to flights based on their current individual handicap index and thus compete against players of similar skill levels.
Most MSGA members belong to golf clubs which provide handicaps for their members. In the Michiana area, clubs belong either to the Indiana Golf Association (iGolf System), the Chicago District Golf Association (CDGA system) or the Golf Association of Michigan (GAM System).
For those members who do not belong to a club and do not have an established USGA handicap, the MSGA contracts with Handicomp, Inc. (MSGA/Golf Handicap Network) to provide a USGA approved handicap for MSGA members. The MSGA charges members $20 per year for the Golf Handicap Network service.
Internet posting is available on all handicap systems:
Return to Top
Questions concerning handicaps should be addressed to the Handicap Chairman, Bob McFadden.
Bob can be reached by email or phone:
The Handicap Chairman’s duties include:
- Collecting the handicap indexes for players before each tournament. Those indexes are retrieved from the various handicap systems via the internet and forwarded to the Director of Golf to be used for producing tournament scorecards.
- Posting all MSGA Tournament scores for players on the MSGA/Golf Handicap Network system via the internet. All other players are required to post their own scores for MSGA tournaments at their respective clubs/courses or via the internet.
- Auditing the postings of all players who win prizes at MSGA events, including skins. Players who have not posted scores will be contacted by the Handicap Chairman via email or phone.
- Randomly auditing all postings of MSGA tournament scores.
- Players who consistently miss posting scores in a timely manner (within 7 days) or who consistently post scores incorrectly will be referred to the Board of Directors for review.
- Reporting any suspicious posting or handicap activities to the Board of Directors for review.
Return to Top
The MSGA requires players to have an established USGA handicap index to participate in MSGA tournaments and compete for awards. USGA rules require that players post scores for all rounds played on rated courses. As all MSGA tournaments are played on USGA rated courses under USGA rules, posting of scores is required. For more information on USGA handicaps, click here.
All participants in MSGA events are responsible for posting their own scores (except as noted below *).
Players are required to post their scores in accordance with the “Equitable Stroke Control” (ESC) guidelines established by the USGA. For more information on ESC, click here.
The following guidelines apply to posting scores for MSGA events:
- Scores for MSGA events are required to be posted as “T” for tournament scores.
- Scores are required to be posted with the Date of the event and within seven (7) days.
- Scores are required to be posted with the Slope and Rating of the course as provided by the MSGA at the tournament site. (Note that sometimes course scorecards and/or websites are not up to date with current course Slopes and Ratings.)
- Adjustments for scores over maximum required by USGA ESC rules:
- Maximum score allowed per hole:
- 0-9 handicap Double bogey
- 10-19 handicap 7
- 20-29 handicap 8
- 30+ handicap 9
The MSGA reserves the right to post scores via the internet for players who have missed posting MSGA event scores. Players who regularly miss posting scores will be reported to the Board of Directors and may be prohibited from competing for awards in future tournaments.
The MSGA reserves the right to review a player’s USGA Handicap record for exceptional tournament scores. Any adjustments to a player’s handicap index will be made in accordance with USGA rules.
Members who have handicaps on the iGolf, CDGA or GAM handicap systems are required to post their MSGA tournament scores at their home club/course or via the internet. For posting questions, or assistance with internet postings, please contact the Handicap Chairman, Bob McFadden at 219-879-5581 or email.
*For those players using the MSGA/Golf Handicap Network system, the Handicap Chairman will post all MSGA tournament scores via the internet. Players who have access to the internet are required to post other scores via the internet. Those players who do not have access to the internet are required to forward other scores to the Handicap Chairman for posting.
Internet posting is available on the four handicap systems:
Return to Top
The MSGA uses the following handicap systems (all approved by the USGA) for all MSGA events:
- iGolf / Indiana Golf Association
- CDGA / Chicago District Golf Association
- GAM / Golf Association of Michigan
- MSGA / Golf Handicap Network
The Handicap Revision Schedule for all handicap systems conforms to the USGA’s guidelines for the Michiana area.
The Revision dates for the Michiana area are the 1st and 15th of each month from March 1st through November 1st of each year.
Return to Top
About MSGA | Join MSGA | Tournaments | Tournament Results | MSGA Championship
Brady Cup | Handicap Central | Photo Gallery | Resources & Links | Contact Us | Members
Privacy Statement | Legal Notice | Site Map | Home
Copyright © Michiana Seniors Golf Association
Web Site Design, Hosting & Maintenance By Catalyst Marketing / Worryfree Websites